Sunday, August 2, 2009

Post Nicaragua.





Global Outreach Team,

I am so blessed that you have supported me through my trip to Nicaragua. Your prayers and funding have meant the world to me and I could not have done it without your help.
Just to give you all a quick downplay on what I did during the missions trip; I went through the ministry called "Because We Care" which first started through Don and Pam Gilette. Lauren Reid (a quad mate from school) and I stayed in Somotillo, at Diominez's house, a local pastor who is affiliated with the Because We Care ministry. We had a pretty flexible schedule for the 5 weeks which allowed us to explore the country. We only had about 2 weeks where a team wasn't staying with us. During those weeks, Lauren and I visited the local Baptist school and helped to teach about Abstinence, traveled with Pastor Diominez to villages about 2 hours away to accommodate them in any way possible, and distributed a majority of rice and beans to local villages. I was able to see what part of the ministry functions when teams are not there to serve. When the teams were available, each day we visited about 2 villages, spreading the gospel, playing with the children, giving rice and beans, as well as bringing the doctor along with medicine so that children who normally couldn't see a doctor could get treatment. One of the best things that has happened to the Ministry has been the local church radio, called "Principe de Paz (Price of Peace)," which reaches to about 3-4 surrounding countries. Each team member has the opportunity to share songs, testimonies, messages, or anything else that God has been laying on their hearts so that thousands of people can tune in and listen.
It is unnecessary to explain that my life has been altered in many ways. I see God moving in Nicaragua so evidently and wished to stay longer to see what else he can teach me. I say all this to propose an opportunity for the Wesleyan Church of Hamburg. Because We Care Ministry has been looking for more support to expand. They are currently building a clinic on the grounds where anyone can get treatment for free, as well as an orphanage. They are also looking for more teams to come to Nicaragua and carry out the work that God has called each of us to do. I have personally spent 2 weeks with Pam Gilette, as well as 2 other main leaders David and Paula Reid who have devoted a huge part of their lives to the ministry as well. This group of individuals are the most God-loving people I have ever met in my life. I will never be welcomed into a family as I have been with the Because We Care team. This including the Nicaraguan staff who work to clean, cook, and accommodate us in any way possible. They have shown me what real love and devotion looks like, and in that way care for the people of Nicaragua everyday and how each step is taken first with prayer.
I have talked with Pam about what our church could do for their ministry. It would be great if our church takes what we can offer and give whatever we can to "Because We Care." It would also be amazing to see a team from Wesleyan Church of Hamburg come down and work in the villages here, spreading the love of Jesus Christ to those who wouldn't be able to hear. I feel that this is also a great time to bring in more of a hispanic introduction to our church, as I have seen the growth increase lately. I am thinking about helping to lead a team Christmas of 2010! It is a field for those who have never done missions before, and for those who have as well. I ask that we dive further into seeing what the ministry is about, and if we choose to support them we would be the only northern state to do so. Pam and Don have offered their time to come and fly up to New York, to our church, and share information about any questions we might have just to test the waters. I believe that this is a great opportunity, if not to just take the time and learn more about what they do here in Nicaragua for our Lord.
Please feel free to email, check out the website, and/or call Because We Care Ministries to get into contact with Don or Pam Gilette, as I have been instructed to give the number and email address regarding any questions. You can also email or call me, as I would love to answer any questions as well! Thanks so much for your time, support, and prayers through every step I have taken.



With love,

Kate Flanders


Kate Flanders
kf.world@yahoo.com
keflanders@liberty.edu

Because We Care Ministries, Inc.
Dr. Donald M. Gillette and Pamela S. Gillette
(540) 774-4197
www.bwcm.org

No comments: