Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sudden Changes & My Response

Sudden Changes:  When I had first planned to leave for Honduras, I was scheduled to depart on July 1st, and return August 8th (5 weeks).  Unexpectedly however, when I traveled to Virginia for training purposes, a Professor Thom Kettlekamp from Houghton College asked if I would join him for the May Term.  May Term, is a 2 week experience in which Houghton College kids go to Honduras at a local university and tour the country with Dr. Kettlekamp.  This mean that I would actually be leaving May 13th, and return August 8th (11 weeks).  What a huge leap; 3 months living in a Honduran orphanage!

My Response:  While in Honduras, I am expected to perform a number of tasks for World Hope.  The first 2 weeks spent with the Houghton students will be mainly touring the country.  I will even get to see the Maya Ruins!  Everyday we will be attending a 3-5 hour class of spanish (for the duration of the 2 weeks).  After 2 weeks with Thom, I will be dropped off at my final destination: Casa Hogar.  There I am expected to set up new technology, including a series of personal laptops for the kids.  I will walk the orphans to school everyday (about 2 hours of walking) and dig a garden.  The variety of food is a combination of rice and beans ... everyday. I am allowed to travel to local markets in the nearby towns. :) These orphans whom which I will be spending time with have literally been "pulled off the streets."

No comments: